Sunday, May 30, 2010

Continued...

So as you may remember I wrote about a week ago that I had some fun photos to share from my recent trip to my family in New Mexico. Well most importantly I want to post some of the shots I have from a private taxidermy collection/museum that is just MASSIVE. When I was younger I hated the place cause all of the animals were hunted, and normally I'm a fan of natural death taxidermy but the opportunity to view some of these majestic creatures up close is just too good to pass up.


This cheetah is one of the first animals your eyes are drawn to upon entering the Savannah exhibit portion of the collection.


These lions make a beautiful pair.


The work that this taxidermist has done is so unique and beautiful. The way that he has the gazelle's (I believe that's what they are) running, is just superb, along with some other wonderfully unique poses of several other animals.


I thought this guy was adorable.


Majestic leopard, waiting to devour his kill in the tree, away from the hyenas!


Clash of the titans :p Mostly I just like the huge hare that's just hanging out in front of them.


Just a small portion of his collection of outrageous hides.


This is only about 1/5 or less of a wall COVERED in a variety of mounts. Most of them were from Africa though.


Secretary bird is ready for business. Is it just me or does he have a bit of Karl Lagerfeld in him, or vice versa? Maybe I'm just thinking that because I watched Lagerfeld Confidential today.


Villagers came to the hunter/collection owner when they found out he was in town because this very crocodile had been preying on the village women when they were washing their clothes. Amongst the necklaces posed in his mouth they found the bones of multiple women!!!


This little guy was sitting on the bottom of a shelf, forgotten in an administrative room. I dont know why but he's my favorite I think of the entire collection. I think it might be how his adorable innocence reminds me of my puppy!


A real life 2 headed turtle! Another piece I HIGHLY coveted in the collection.


After the previous 2, I think the kissing Otters were my third favorites of the place.


A once world record polar bear that apparently nearly killed the hunter in the process of obtaining him.


Stalking out his prey.


Albino raccoon!



The ranch also keeps a large collection of live peacocks with a variety of other animals. This one was saying goodbye to use it seemed, needless to say it was quite windy that day. If you're in the Four Corners area and are ever curious to go yourself, just go here, and call ahead to make an appointment to view the premises.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOUR TRENDY SITE, VERY SHARP SELECTION, FÉLICITATIONS, STÉPHANE OF WWW.LUXE-ET-VANITES.BLOGSPOT.COM NEWS CHAPTERS ON MY BLOG : BETONY VERNON, KRISTAMAS KLOUTSCH, JOEL PETER WITKIN, ARMS AND ARMORY JEWELRY, NYC....DONT HESITATE TO SHARE AND LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU LIKE....

    ReplyDelete